HISTORY OF ORIGINAL PARISH SITE
(Northeast Corner of Market Street and State Route 224)
In 1795, forty-eight men purchased land in the Western Reserve from the State of Connecticut. Three years later, the land was divided into shares. In 1805, the land was declared Boardman Township with the total population at approximately 200 people.
George Stilson’s property was on the northeast corner of Boardman Center in 1805. Boardman Center, was the intersection of Boardman Road (now Market Street) and Poland Road (West Street, which later became State Route 224).
Arthur Patrick purchased the property in 1836; and in 1847, the original house was torn down and another was built. It was a grand house in a very sparsely settled area. Arthur Patrick kept a noted tavern there for many years. It was the halfway stopping place on the stagecoach route between Cleveland and Pittsburgh.
The land was repartitioned in 1867, at which time either some repairs were made to the house or an addition was constructed. When the rectory was moved in the 1950’s, the chimneys were dismantled in preparation to move the house. During that process workmen found a brick stamped “Canfield 1867” which correlates to a time when a brickyard is known to have been in operation in that location.
The estate continued in the Patrick family until North Newton sold it to Milton E. Coombs on October 23, 1919. Seven years later, the property was chosen by the Diocese of Cleveland to accommodate a Catholic Parish in the area.