MSGR. JOHN BARDON
(1945-1966)
In 1945, John L. Bardon began his pastorship. The Sunday Mass schedule consisted of five Masses and was apparent that the parish had outgrown its church on the Northeast corner of Boardman Center. In addition, approximately 275 children were attending CCD classes.
On June 2, 1949, St. Charles Church bought a portion of the Hitchcock Farm property, with the purpose of expansion.
To help raise funds the St. Charles Parish held its annual festival on the original parish grounds for the last time on July 28, 1950. The following year, an alternative festival site, a store in the Boardman Plaza, was provided by parishioner and entrepreneur, Edward DeBartolo Sr.
Construction of the new school began in March 1951, with an estimated cost of $300,000. The tan brick building had one story with an elevated basement. The lower level accommodated a temporary church with seating for 1,000 persons. The facility also housed eight classrooms, a kitchen, nurse’s station, office, and cafeteria. Prior to the opening of the1952-1953 school year, approximately 350 students were registered.
In 1954, a $100,000 program was executed beginning with an addition, which was built onto the north end of the school. The prior worship area on the lower level of the school was converted to classrooms and the new addition temporarily housed the church. It was intended that the addition would become a combination of cafeteria and gymnasium after the construction of the permanent church.
Steady progress carried into the 1960’s. The boundaries of the surrounding area that made up the parish had not changed since the parish was established in 1926. In September of 1960, Bishop Walsh announced the formation of St. Michael’s Mission to serve Catholics in the Canfield area. Msgr. John L. Bardon, pastor of St. Charles, was assigned to direct the mission. Members of the new St. Michael’s mission were formerly parishioners of St. Charles.
The tract of land, which was the original site of the parish, was subdivided in June 1964 into three lots. The separate parcels were then sold with the most favorable economic advantage.
In June 1966, Monsignor Bardon retired. His 21-year pastorate is the longest in the history of the parish. He would long be remembered for his “all business” leadership and commanding personality.
